In the early 1900s, Jefferson County was severely stricken with an outbreak of tuberculosis. There were many tuberculosis cases in Louisville at the time because of all the wetlands along the Ohio River, which were perfect for the tuberculosis bacteria. To try to contain the disease, a two-story wooden sanatorium was opened which consisted of an administrative/main building and two open air pavilions, each housing 20 patients, for the treatment of "early cases".
In the early part of 1911, the city of Louisville began to make preparations to build a new Louisville City Hospital, and the hospital commissioners decided in their plans that there would be no provision made in the new City Hospital for the admission of pulmonary tuberculosis, and the Board of Tuberculosis Hospital was given $25,000 to erect a hospital for the care of advanced cases of pulmonary tuberculosis.
On August 31, 1912, all tuberculosis patients from the City Hospital were relocated to temporary quarters in tents on the grounds of Waverly Hills pending the completion of a hospital for advanced cases. In December 1912 a hospital for advanced cases opened for the treatment of another 40 patients. In 1914 a children's pavilion added another 50 beds making the known "capacity" around 130 patients. The children's pavilion was not only for sick children but also for the children of tuberculosis patients who could not be cared for properly otherwise. This report also mentions that the goal was to add a new building each year to continually grow so there may have even been more beds available than specifically listed.
The haunted house in Hinsdale, perhaps the most famous haunted house in the area, has all the elements of a good ghost story: a mysterious history, strange sightings, unexplainable events and even an exorcism.
The house on McMahon Road first gained notoriety when a book, "Echoes of a Haunting," was published in September 2000 by Xlibris Corp. written by Clara Miller/Dandy
Clara and Phil Dandy lived in the house along with their children in the early 1970s. During their time there, they were visited by many spirits . Father Alphonsus, a priest from St. Bonaventure University was at the house more than once to perform an exorcism which worked for awhile but as time went by the Dandy family lost the battle and ended up leaving the house for good.
In 2006 A Episode of "A Haunting" and aired on Discovewry Channel, It was based on the Dandys and their Experiences.
'As the years passed by a few families have lived in the home but didn’t stay for long. You can probably guess why. The last occupants of the Hinsdale House were Joe and Florence Misnik, who passed away a few months from one another.
In 2009 Author Paul Kenyon Published his Book " You know They're Here" is a true story of actual events of a haunted house experienced by this author in the mid-seventies.
The historic Milton School, built in 1904, operated until 1986 and then stood abandoned until the early 1990s when it re-opened as a decorative glass factory. It’s believed to be haunted by a schoolgirl nicknamed Mary who was raped and murdered at the school when she stayed late to work on a project. The crime was pinned on a school janitor, who was found hanged inside the school. Witnesses say strange things happen here, such as objects disappearing, shadowy figures, footsteps and unexplained sounds. An apparition of a little girl was seen as well, and may have left X and O patterns on a worker’s keyboard occasionally.
Flinderation tunnel was built in the mid 1800's and even during it's construction many of the workers and those involved had realized they started digging in a place they probably shouldn't have. There were rumors and legends that the land was cursed but many of the workers didn't start believing in those stories until certain things start to happen… This is one of those stories where you hear it and you think "eh that's just another scary story told about an old place, there's nothing there". But according to those who have had some very scary experiences here, the stories are very true! One tragedy began with three men working on the tracks inside the tunnel in the 1800s or early 1900s. A train approached them at high speeds and very little warning. One man escaped to a cubbyhole unscathed. Another was supposedly cut in half by the train. And a third was dragged about 75 feet trapped under the train, causing it to derail. He didn't survive.